Thursday, September 24, 2015

"To paint is to love again."


"Paint what you like and die happy," Henry Miller once wrote.

Recently, my beloved friend, Viki, reminded me that Henry Miller the writer was also a prolific painter of watercolors. In fact, he was painting years before he began writing. He completed over 3,000 paintings during his long life. One of his books was entitled: "To Paint is to Love Again." It is now out of print and available at some university libraries. You can hear Miller recite the book in a series of videos on YouTube.

How true! The above painting is "Paint Happy" done in acrylic, oil and cold wax on 16" x 20" canvas. I think of it as a self-portrait. It started with a dot, just one dot. I allowed my intuitive self to go from there--picking the colors, shapes and lines.

Miller said: "Painting is like stealing a glimpse of your beloved while she sleeps."

For me, painting is pure joy, meditation, adventure, trust and celebration. It is love incarnate.

© Claudia Rose, Ph.D.

1 comment: