Thursday, September 7, 2017

How I Do It



The Tools I Use:
1.      Rubber brayer- to apply paint
2.      Spatula- to transfer paint from jar to substrate
3.      Original stencils- cut on Cricut machine from original drawings
4.      Acrylic paint- I use Golden and Nova paint
5.      Clear gesso- to increase “tooth” on substrate and layer between paint
6.      Gelli plate- to create monoprints for applying paint to substrate
7.      Deli paper- for creation of monoprints
8.      Krylon Fine Art Fixative- 3-5 coats on pastel; 15 minutes between each coat



I start by laying hands on substrate surface. I bless the material and align with its potential. Then I randomly pick acrylic paint in a family of colors. My process in brief:

1.      Apply a coat of gesso
2.      Use stencil(s) to create background pattern
3.      Apply washes, scrape, scratch, and rub layers of translucent color
4.      Occasionally apply wet monoprint for additional texture
5.      Allow layers to dry to avoid “mud”
6.      Find reference photo to ensure my proportions are correct
7.      Create portrait—lay in shadows with pan pastels; finish with pastel and carbon pencils
8.      Complete portrait with fixative



©Claudia Rose, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. You are so kind sharing your style with us..it is so very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find the information helpful. Blessings!

      Delete