Tuesday, October 6, 2015


Blooms

My latest class assignment involved painting a pillow cover. I grabbed an old pillow case. Then I taped the cotton over plastic and lightly sprayed the fabric with water. I then used Golden High Flow acrylics straight from the bottle to imply blooms and leaves in the garden. Here's a detail:


Detail of Blooms

I thought of adding line work, details with a small brush, yet I once I stopped painting I couldn't force myself to go further. The painting was done!


Blooms drying

This project reminds me of clothes I made from hand painted fabric when I returned from my trip around the world. The fabrics of India, Africa and Thailand were so inspiring! I brought back many yards of the batiks and block-printed fabrics. I was just 21 years old when I laid yards of heavy cotton on the floor of my parent's garage. I wet the fabric and loosely painted abstract designs. With my mother's help, I cut the dry fabric into pants, vests and tops. It was such great fun!

Fabric, especially silk, is so luscious and wonderful to paint. Colors blend on their own with a flow that doesn't require control. Such a great exercise in letting go and trusting in the beauty of creation.

© Claudia Rose, Ph.D.


1 comment: