Thursday, March 31, 2016

New Painting-Grandmothers Bouquet


Grandmothers Bouquet


This painting is a bouquet for my grandmothers, a group of wise women who have visited me in meditation for the past 20+ years. They call themselves The Midwives of Mankind. They love me unconditionally and I love them with a love that knows no limits. They bring messages of love through songs, stories and prayers. In 2001, we wrote a book together, “Daughter of Spirit, Daughter of Peace: a prayer for humanity”. This painting is for them.



Let me tell you about the painting and how it came into being. I started with a 16” x 20” wood panel painted in soft shades of grey. Then I spent a couple of days making monoprints on mulberry and rice paper. When you click on a detail of the painting, you will see finely-veined leaves and twigs, the textures of cave paintings and worn textiles.

I collaged the monoprints on the panel in a random design. Next, I spent time with the painting, allowing it to speak to me and tell me who or what wanted to emerge. With charcoal, graphite, India ink and pastel, I encouraged shapes to emerge and others to retreat into the background. Then I glazed the painting with layers of pearlescent acrylic.

The painting gives you an idea of how I experience my Grandmothers…with layers of depth, diversity, color and shape peeking through into my awareness. How I appreciate these women who have made me a member of their group of wisdom-keepers!

Perhaps, when I have left this earth, an artist will hear me whisper in her ear. She will paint her love as I now paint mine. In this way, love and support can pass from one generation to the next with the greatest of gratitude.


Click image to see more detail


Grandmothers of Spirit

like ancient trees
providing shade
and shelter.

like rivers
quenching
every thirst.

My Grandmothers of Spirit
stoke the fires
to inspire and uplift.

My Grandmothers speak
and I listen
painting love by hand.

they lived long ago
and live still
forever in my heart.

My Grandmothers
live in me
and I in them.

©Claudia Rose, Ph.D.

For sale on my website: www.claudiaroseart.com

3 comments: