Friday, February 19, 2016

New Abstract-Flowers Bloom


Flowers Bloom All Around

I ran my hands across the 12” x 12” gallery wrapped canvas and asked what wanted to come forward. Without thinking, I found myself sorting through stacks of monoprints. I never took these prints seriously. They were just play, the result of rolling acrylic paint on Gelli plates and pressing various papers on the plates with unpredictable results.

I started placing tissue-thin papers on the canvas. One after another, pieces found their place. Scrapping and overlapping, I affixed the paper with gel medium. I turned the canvas in all four directions until I found the “right” orientation.

I had every intention of using this as an underpainting with layers of glazes and marks on top. Every time I started to pick paints or pencils, I stopped.

“I am enough,” I heard. “I am enough as I am.”

Yes, I decided. You are enough. What a profound message! Though the current mixed media trend is to layer glazes, paper, paint, ink, cold wax in as many as 25 to 50 layers per painting, I listened to my intuition. I was clearly guided to stop, to let love have its way, to love something just as it is, to create joyfully and easily.

“I am enough.” This is the message of the painting. I am enough. I am beautiful as I am. And so are you.

© Claudia Rose, Ph.D.

1 comment: