Wednesday, February 17, 2016

New Painting-She Brings the Spring


She Brings the Spring

I was determined to be un-determined in the creation of this painting. I started by gently caressing the surface of a 24” x 24” gallery wrapped canvas. I then created texture with stencils and gel medium followed by acrylic washes.

A face began to appear. Would I flesh her out in graphite? No, I decided. Graphite is too harsh for this one. I picked up a pastel pencil with the intention of making a light outline. But my hands had other ideas. They loved the pastel pencils and their soft touch—like a breath leaving its imprint on the canvas.

I then saw blossoms in the background washes. I brought out the blossoms with pastel and acrylic glazes.

I admire her beauty, soft, integrated into the flowers as if she herself was a flower ready to bloom.

©Claudia Rose, Ph.D.


2 comments:

  1. How beautifully French. So feminine.
    I just saw the PBS documentary about Monet and the lovely nature of Normandy.
    There she was in among the spring flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fabulous to be mentioned in the same breath as Monet. Thank you!

      Delete